Re: IBM releases 500 patents

From: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)www(dot)commandprompt(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IBM releases 500 patents
Date: 2005-01-11 16:51:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On January 11, 2005 08:34 am, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 08:13:01AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> > >IBM has just announced they are waving all rights and providing access
> > > to 500 patents.  In the list of 500 there are several that relate RDBMS
> > > and query optimizations, it may be worth a look.
> > >
> > >http://www.ibm.com/news/us/en/2005/01/patents.html
> >
> > Except in the event of a lawsuit.
>
> And derived closed-source products like SRA's or CMD's Postgres
> offerings would not be able to include whatever is covered by the patents.

In that pg uses a BSD license, which is supported by OSO and which allows for:

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

I can't see binary modified distros like those offred by CP and SRA would be
breaking this license.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.