Re: First article in France about PostgreSQL v8

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Francois Suter <dba(at)paragraf(dot)ch>
Subject: Re: First article in France about PostgreSQL v8
Date: 2005-01-10 18:07:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Francois,

> Now the journalist had a question I wasn't able to answer and I think
> would be a nice addition to the press FAQ collected by Josh: what large
> (i.e. reknowned) applications support PostgreSQL in fields such as ERP,
> CRM, CMS, etc.? And the journalist didn't mean more Open Source stuff,
> but commercial applications. I suppose he was looking for signs of
> respectability...

Well, OpenMFG (www.openmfg.com) was built on PostgreSQL.   So was Hyperic.
Pretty much everything else is a custom application for some company; our
inclusion in large, proprietary software is still a ways off, except maybe in
Japan.

> By the way, what is it exactly that Hyperic's software does? I coulnd't
> get past the marketese stuff on their web site (please, Hyperic guys on
> the list, don't take offence).

Hyperic is a modernized, more economical alternative to Tivoli and other
enterprise server room management utilities.  It lets you track multiple
statistics and events for multiple servers running a half-dozen different
operating systems through a web interface.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions