Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "T(dot)J(dot)" <tjtoocool(at)phreaker(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..
Date: 2005-01-10 04:27:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> My feeling is that the *.txt is actually misleading because
> >people will
> >> think of it as a file full of freeform text (paragraphs) and not a
> >> configuration file.
> >
> >Why would they think that? If notepad tends to auto-wrap files then
> >this argument has some force; I'm not very familar with it though.
>
> It does not. There is an option to make it *show* the file with wrapped
> line, but it does not even have the capability to wordwrap the files
> themselves.
>
> FWIW, I've seen several apps that use .txt for config files, but I can't
> think of an example right now. Most don't though - .cfg or .conf is
> probably most common. Except for the majority of windows programs that
> don't use config files - they use the registry. But I see no reason *at
> all* for us to want to do that :-) It also more or less requires you to
> write a GUI to change the config stuff and in that case the file
> extension becomes irrelevant.

Where are we on this? I think Andrew and I both think *.txt is
confusing. We need to decide on Monday if we should change the current
*.txt names. We can either leave it unchanged, remove *.txt, or change
it to *.config.

Currently the two Win32 files with *.txt extensions are:

*.txt was added on Win32 to make them automatically start notepad.exe
when clicked on. Here is a copy of the Mozilla directory on XP:

[.] [..] 1138945.s 1138945.w
abook.mab bookmarks-1.html bookmarks-2.html bookmarks-3.html
bookmarks-4.html bookmarks-5.html bookmarks-6.html bookmarks.html
[Cache] [Cache.Trash] cert8.db [chatzilla]
[chrome] cookies.txt cookperm.txt downloads.rdf
history.dat history.mab hostperm.1 key3.db
localstore.rdf [Mail] mailViews.dat mimeTypes.rdf
panacea.dat panels.rdf parent.lock prefs.js
search.rdf secmod.db URL.tbl XUL.mfl

There are no *.txt files even though they are all text files. They are
not meant to be edited by hand though. I don't have any *.txt files
under \Application Data on my machine.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us