Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org,"Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>,Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,"T(dot)J(dot)" <tjtoocool(at)phreaker(dot)net>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..
Date: 2005-01-10 04:27:42
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-hackers-win32
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> My feeling is that the *.txt is actually misleading because
> >people will
> >> think of it as a file full of freeform text (paragraphs) and not a
> >> configuration file.
> >
> >Why would they think that?  If notepad tends to auto-wrap files then
> >this argument has some force; I'm not very familar with it though.
>
> It does not. There is an option to make it *show* the file with wrapped
> line, but it does not even have the capability to wordwrap the files
> themselves.
>
> FWIW, I've seen several apps that use .txt for config files, but I can't
> think of an example right now. Most don't though - .cfg or .conf is
> probably most common. Except for the majority of windows programs that
> don't use config files - they use the registry. But I see no reason *at
> all* for us to want to do that :-) It also more or less requires you to
> write a GUI to change the config stuff and in that case the file
> extension becomes irrelevant.

Where are we on this?  I think Andrew and I both think *.txt is
confusing.  We need to decide on Monday if we should change the current
*.txt names.  We can either leave it unchanged, remove *.txt, or change
it to *.config.

Currently the two Win32 files with *.txt extensions are:

*.txt was added on Win32 to make them automatically start notepad.exe
when clicked on.  Here is a copy of the Mozilla directory on XP:

	[.]                [..]               1138945.s          1138945.w
	abook.mab          bookmarks-1.html   bookmarks-2.html   bookmarks-3.html
	bookmarks-4.html   bookmarks-5.html   bookmarks-6.html   bookmarks.html
	[Cache]            [Cache.Trash]      cert8.db           [chatzilla]
	[chrome]           cookies.txt        cookperm.txt       downloads.rdf
	history.dat        history.mab        hostperm.1         key3.db
	localstore.rdf     [Mail]             mailViews.dat      mimeTypes.rdf
	panacea.dat        panels.rdf         parent.lock        prefs.js
	search.rdf         secmod.db          URL.tbl            XUL.mfl

There are no *.txt files even though they are all text files.  They are
not meant to be edited by hand though.  I don't have any *.txt files
under \Application Data on my machine.