Re: Very slow stored proc

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Együd Csaba (Freemail) <csegyud(at)freemail(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very slow stored proc
Date: 2004-12-23 23:35:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 11:23:30PM +0100, Együd Csaba (Freemail) wrote:

Együd,

> Sorry for misspelling your name. It is almost midnight here...

Ah, never mind! I don't really care that much about it ...

> So Dear Alvaro, [is it ok? :)]

Well, not completely, because it's really Álvaro, though I don't use
that form because of issues with email headers (maybe I should); but
I don't think it's that important anyway.

> This table is updated (not inserted... just updated) by another server in
> every minutes. The procedure creates a few (configurable number of) empty
> minutes in advance as a placeholder for the coming measured values. If there
> are no empty minute records the value is lost.
> If the db server is off for a long time, the minutes must be created
> backwards too to avoid the holes. This situation is where many thousands of
> records must be inserted at once.

Oh, certainly you can't do that with an SRF. It seems a weird strategy
to me anyway. Not sure why you need the placeholders instead of just
inserting the measured values, but what do I know of your situation ...