Re: Kudos, Sponsors, Comments

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Kudos, Sponsors, Comments
Date: 2004-12-23 23:26:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
On Thursday 23 December 2004 17:23, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks:
>
> First off, a message from John Koenig, co-leader of SDForum's Open
>
> Source series:
> > > The new web site looks fantastic.  Nice job.
>
> I'd have to echo that; the new website is a world-and-a-half
> improvement and it's great that it's finally up.  Even with a few
> technical issues.
>
> Second, please take a moment to check out:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors
>
> 1) I'd like to change this from "sponsors" to "corporate contributors".
>  Sponsors implies money and we want to list code contributors as well
> -- if not primarily.   We can keep the URL of the page, just change the
> title.

Well, back when it was on advocacy, the idea (as I understood it) was to
recognize those companies the truly sponsor our development, and by sponsor I
do mean money, since afaik Tom/Jan/Bruce etc all get paid in actual money by
these companies to hack on PostgreSQL.

As came up on advocacy, just about anyone and thier little brother can be a
"contributor", so this isn't exactly a subtle change.  I'm not saying there
aren't valid reasons to have a contributors page, just pointing out the
previous goals since people seem to have a tendancy to think that there was
no reasoning going on before they showed up.

Another thing to think about is just how this will play once the foundation is
up and running, since we will have a listing of "sponsors" there too.

> 2) Can we put the following text at the top:
> "Below are a few of the corporate contributors to the PostgreSQL
> Project.  In January, we will be assembling a more complete list of
> companies who have made significant contributions of code and
> resources."
> The current page has the implication that the 5 listed are *all* of our
> contributors, which is really unfair to CMD, Fujitsu, Vale Housing,
> etc.

We stated it before and I'll restate it now, as soon as someone comes up with
logos for those companies, they can be added to the list.

> 3) The "sponsor the project" link takes you back to the PostgreSQL.org
> home page.   Can we just not use it for now?

I'll try to fix that tonight.

> Third and finally, is it really necessary to copy all of the comments
> to this list?   I can put a filter on them, but it seems like
> unnecessary traffic.  Isn't there a better way to deal with these?

Isn't this the 4th thing? ;-)  This was discussed before, the quick summary
being that folks didnt think people on pgsql-docs would want to see them and
since the people doing the moderating were all on this list no one really
wanted to subscribe to yet another list.  We're only less than a week out, I
think we should try to stick with the status quo for now and see how things
go once traffic dies down a bit.

--
Robert Treat