BUG #1352: 100's of postgres.exe tasks created

From: "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1352: 100's of postgres.exe tasks created
Date: 2004-12-21 15:17:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1352
Logged by: Steve Schafer

Email address: postgresql(at)schafer(dot)cc

PostgreSQL version: 8.0 Beta

Operating system: Windows 2000 Pro, sp 4, up to date

Details:

I know I could do more to make this reproducable but I'm don't have a lot of
time and I figure it's better to at least report it. Maybe I'm doing
something wrong that's making this happen. If so I'm sorry for wasting your
time but I'd appreciate knowing what it is.

This is 8.0.0rc1 installed on win2kpro from downloaded binaries. If there's
a build number, I don't know where to find it.

I browsed through the bugs forum but didn't see anything like this.

I'm using postgresql with a complex java web application that creates many
prepared statements which are used once and not reused. After running this
application for a while, I can see a great many instances of postgres.exe
running in the task manager. I've seen as many as a couple of hundred. The
more I run my application, the more instances appear. Most of them have
done no I/O. When I shut down the postgres service, these tasks do not go
away. I cannot kill these tasks using the task manager because I get an
access denied error. I've even had problems shutting down windows because
each of these task pops up error windows.

Prior to downloading 8.0.0rc1, I was using 7.4.1 in cygwin and never had
this kind of problem.