Re: SQUID Log in PostgreSQL

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: "Vishal Kashyap (at) [SaiHertz]" <vishalonlist(at)gmail(dot)com>,pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQUID Log in PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-12-20 23:53:00
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Saturday 11 December 2004 9:39 am, Vishal Kashyap @ [SaiHertz]
wrote:
> Dear PostgreSQL Enlightened ,
>
> Is their any plugin or work around that would allow me to log Squid
> jobs into PostgreSQL ?

Assuming Squid is set up to write to syslog try the modular syslog
daemon: http://sourceforge.net/projects/msyslog/

Msyslogd has various modules/filters for input to and output from
syslog including an output module to write syslog info to PostgreSQL.
In my case the message part of each syslog entry has a specific
format so I modified the PostgreSQL module to further parse the
message into appropriate columns.

It's worked quite well and, like PG, has proven reliable (the
connection from the msyslog daemon to PG has been up for about a
year).

Cheers,
Steve