Re: create user with password

From: "Marcin Gil" <marcin(dot)gil(at)audax(dot)com(dot)pl>
To: "'pgsqlnovice'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create user with password
Date: 2004-12-20 15:25:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

  _____

From: pgsql-novice-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-novice-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of sarlav kumar
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 4:19 PM
To: pgsqlnovice
Subject: [NOVICE] create user with password

Hi All,

I logged in as postgres user and created a new user 'test' with a password.
create user test with password 'test';

But when I use the -U option to login with the new user 'test', it does not
ask for password and directly logs me in. If I use -u(without
capitalization), it asks for the username and password. I know that -u is
deprecated. Is there a way to get -U option to ask for the password before
logging in?? Or am I doing anything wrong here?

Thanks,
Saranya

Check your pg_hba.conf in postgres directory.
Then check if you have 'trust' authentication for your local machine.
If so - then password is not required.

-Marcin Gil