Re: Database Recovery

From: Harry <postituk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Recovery
Date: 2004-12-20 01:08:42
Lists: pgsql-docs

--- Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> wrote:
> > http://www.hjackson.org/blog/archives/2004/12/postgresql_data.html
>
> Huh, this sounds like transaction Id wraparound to me. Do you
> regularly run vacuums on the whole database? Did you ask for expert
> help on the lists before running to do whatever you did?

I didn't run to do anything ;) I had a good think and a good google
before I done anything and I have all my data back because of it.
Luckily for me the data was neither life or job threatening so I was
able to take a few more risks than necessary. I was actually
volunteering to write the database recovery section of the docs, not
asking for help.

As per TID wraparound. I have been lucky enough never to have received
anything similar to the following warning (taken from 7.4 docs)

play=# vacuum;
WARNING: Some databases have not been vacuumed in 1613770184
transactions.
Better vacuum them within 533713463 transactions,
or you may have a wraparound failure.
VACUUM

you will also notice that I used a TID of less than 100 million to
recover the database. I was nowhere near 0.5 billion as recommended by
the docs.

Harry

=====
Harry