Re: production server down

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: production server down
Date: 2004-12-18 23:27:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 02:28:51PM -0800, Joe Conway wrote:

Hi,

> Apparently, either because of the server hang, or because of the flakey
> eth0 interface on reboot, pg_control had become "corrupt". However, it
> was not corrupt in the sense that it contained impossibly invalid data.
> In fact, as pointed out by Alvaro, it had values that all look close to
> those one would find in a recently initdb'd pg_control file, except the
> last modified date:

I can't help remembering the fact that the init script executes an
initdb automatically if it finds an empty data directory (the ones I
know of at least -- does the one you are running?).  Maybe what happened
was that it found the empty mount point, executed an initdb, and then
the NFS drive came online.  Later, the pg_control file was sync'ed to
the "empty database" settings.  It'd be interesting to know if the
mount point does have some files on it.

These values (from the corrupt pg_control file) are strange:

> pg_control last modified:             Tue Dec 14 15:39:26 2004
> Time of latest checkpoint:            Tue Nov  2 17:05:32 2004

Maybe the latest checkpoint date has some interesting bit pattern that
could explain it somehow.

"El sentido de las cosas no viene de las cosas, sino de
las inteligencias que las aplican a sus problemas diarios
en busca del progreso." (Ernesto Hernández-Novich)