Re: [despammed] Reading across databases

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)despammed(dot)com>
To: PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [despammed] Reading across databases
Date: 2004-12-17 09:28:21
Lists: pgsql-novice
am  17.12.2004, um  2:07:53 -0700 mailte Michael Fuhr folgendes:
> > IMHO no. Not in a single psql-Session. But you can do this in a
> > client-application. There can you open any connections to several
> > databases.
>
> With the contrib/dblink module you can query other databases, even
> databases on other servers.  You can hide the complexity by creating
> a view:

Thank you. I read your other answer and so i read the Doku for dblink.

> > You should use for this reason different schemas in one database. Then
> > you can cross-access between the different schemas.
>
> Some environments might prefer to have development and production
> in different databases or on different servers so problems on one
> don't affect the other.  In such cases, dblink can be a handy way
> to perform queries that need to access both databases.

Yes, okay. I have a simular problem, i need the same table on 2
databases. Now I have the knowladge to solve this with a VIEW.

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
               Tel. NL Heynitz:  035242/47212