Re: pg_hba and *

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: FM <dist-list(at)LEXUM(dot)UMontreal(dot)CA>
Subject: Re: pg_hba and *
Date: 2004-12-16 17:23:03
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:52:31 -0500,
  FM <dist-list(at)LEXUM(dot)UMontreal(dot)CA> wrote:
> Hello,
> We have kerberos auth for all humain users, but I still need md5 auth
> for scripts users.
>
> All my scripts user name start with soft_
>
> Can I add soft_* in the pg_hba ?

You can't do pattern matching there.

It probably wouldn't be that hard to make a custom change to allow
some sort of pattern matching.

Another option would be to have a script that updates pg_hba.conf
as needed (and signal the server).

Yet another possible option (if the scripts are only run from the server)
is to use md5 for domain socket connections and kerberos for tcp/ip
connections.