Re: upgrading postgresql

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin(at)mail(dot)jct(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrading postgresql
Date: 2004-12-15 16:09:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:52:35 +0200,
  Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin(at)mail(dot)jct(dot)ac(dot)il> wrote:
> Hi all!
> We are currently running a 7.3.4 backed and planning to upgrade.
> However we can't do to much/at all changes in the applications using the db.
> So the question is to what version to upgrade :
> what is the best release from the 7.3.* ?

The one with the highest number in the third position. You can check
the download sites to see what versions are available. If you have to use
something supported by your OS vendor than you may have more limited
options.

> would the upgrade to 7.4.* require serious changes in the applications ,
> if not what is the
> best release of the 7.4.*?

You would have to do a dump and reload to go to the 7.4 series. I don't
think there is too much else that would cause a problem, but you should
read the release notes to double check that there isn't anything that
will cause you problems.