Patch to add version numbers to libpq.rc

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Patch to add version numbers to libpq.rc
Date: 2004-12-15 04:45:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We could do "date '+%y%j' to output 04349.  How many bits do we have for
> that last comma value?  This would work unless you put out two
> installers in the same day.  However, this would not work for VC and BCC
> because they don't have 'date'.  This would give us an ever-increasing
> value for each release.

Here is a sample patch for automatically adding the year/julian date to
the libpq.rc file.  It requires moving libpq.rc to libpq.rc.in and then
making the Makefile modifications attached.  I also included how
libpq.rc changes so you can see the numbers added.

I have used the existing *.def build method but for a final version I
think I have to make it its own rule so it is recreated on every MinGW
build rather than just when exports.txt changes or a package prepdist
build is made.  VC and BCC aleady require a prepdist build so we should
be OK with having this built at that time always.  I can see pginstaller
building from CVS and would like to make sure it has an updated day
stamp so I am thinking it should be recreated every time libpqrc.o is
created.