From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-12-15 06:00:14
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 14th 2004 ==

Well the big story last week was the network outage that disrupted a number
of community services. The good news was that the redundancy that had been
put into place so far seemed to work, the bad news of course being that
enough services haven't gotten their redundancy put in place yet. Hopefully
the past week can serve as some lessons learned as we continue to build out
the postgresql.org infrastructure.

With development somewhat hampered, the core team has not made any decisions
yet on just when the next release will be, but at this point we can probably
expect another RC before Final comes out. Even with the aforementioned
troubles we did see a few fixes come into CVS this week. Several problems
revolving around binary compatibility (or the lack thereof) between parent
and child tables were fixed. A bug in pg_dump with comments on table
constraints was fixed. The pg_resetxlog program was modified to longer run as
root, preventing some file permission errors from germinating. Finaly, the
pl/perl documentation saw a number of updates, clarifying the scope of global
data and providing an example of storing a code reference.

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

phpPgAdmin 3.5.1 Released
http://www.postgresql.org/news/254.html

Radiant Data Redefines Data Availability and Replication with PeerFS v3.0
http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20041208192313656

The Best Day Ever To Design A Database Structure
http://www.webpronews.com/it/database/wpn-20-20041208TheBestDayEvertoDesignaDatabaseStructure.html

== PostgreSQL In The News ==

Automating PostgreSQL Tasks
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/12/09/pg_automation.html

== PostgreSQL Events ==

PostgreSQL Seminar: Kayseri, Turkey: December 16
Devrim Gunduz will present a seminar on the new features in PostgreSQL 8.0
http://seminer.linux.org.tr/

Linux Solutions: Paris, France: February 1-3
PostgreSQL will have a booth, and several community members will be attending
http://www.solutionslinux.fr/en/index.php

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 14th 2004 ==
On the Web:
http://www.postgresql.org