Re: pgsql: Mention aix cc_r is not supported, and why

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org>,pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Mention aix cc_r is not supported, and why
Date: 2004-12-14 13:10:54
Lists: pgsql-committers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 14. Dezember 2004 13:58 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > Mention aix cc_r is not supported, and why
>
> I think this change is inappropriate.  First, cc_r is no more or less common
> than cc; you have to purchase either one.  Second, cc_r is supported.  We
> have one port report that uses it.  I say we just leave it alone and wait for
> people to fix the thread support.

Did you look at the patch?  To support it would require us to use a
special CC setting for all cases where we are linking to a threaded
libpq.  I don't think we want to add that ugliness to our code just to
support it, just like we didn't do a similar change to support threading
on unixware.

If we wanted to support it we could easily do so by using PTHREAD_CC in
all the bin makefiles and other places that link to libpq.