Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll
Date: 2004-12-13 19:43:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> >> The idea that someone is going to update that version string every time
> >> there is a change to libpq isn't going to happen reliably if at all.
> >> Maybe that value should be set by the installer to be the
> >> number of days since 1970.
> > We could set it when building the installer by hacking up the DLL file,
> > but that's really ugly, because then there would be no correlation with
> > the official version numbers. And we claim to ship the official
> > version...
> Also, that approach won't work *at all* for people who build from source
> without using the installer.  I think it would be a real bad idea for
> the installer to install something different than what you'd get from a
> hand build of the identical source release.
> I think we have to bite the bullet and include "bump low part of DLL
> version number" as part of the standard release checklist.  This will at
> least solve the problem for people who use official tarballs.  Them as
> build from CVS pulls are going to have to guard against the problem for
> themselves, but it's not like there haven't always been equivalent
> gotchas on the Unix side.

It is more complicated than that.  First, people building from CVS will
just install everything in /bin and /lib and put nothing in SYSTEM32.
You have to add the /lib to your %PATH% for anything to work, or copy
the DLL into /bin.

Second, if two installers are created during beta2, they are going to
have the same version numbers and will not be updated, so a fix to libpq
will not get propogated.  I see no way to manage that except having the
installer do it.

The libpq.dll in SYSTEM32 and /lib will be different in that SYSTEM32
will have the updated version stamp, but it is my understanding only the
installer cares about those version numbers, so that seems OK.

  Bruce Momjian                        |