Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll
Date: 2004-12-13 19:43:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> >> The idea that someone is going to update that version string every time
> >> there is a change to libpq isn't going to happen reliably if at all.
> >> Maybe that value should be set by the installer to be the
> >> number of days since 1970.
>
> > We could set it when building the installer by hacking up the DLL file,
> > but that's really ugly, because then there would be no correlation with
> > the official version numbers. And we claim to ship the official
> > version...
>
> Also, that approach won't work *at all* for people who build from source
> without using the installer.  I think it would be a real bad idea for
> the installer to install something different than what you'd get from a
> hand build of the identical source release.
>
> I think we have to bite the bullet and include "bump low part of DLL
> version number" as part of the standard release checklist.  This will at
> least solve the problem for people who use official tarballs.  Them as
> build from CVS pulls are going to have to guard against the problem for
> themselves, but it's not like there haven't always been equivalent
> gotchas on the Unix side.

It is more complicated than that.  First, people building from CVS will
just install everything in /bin and /lib and put nothing in SYSTEM32.
You have to add the /lib to your %PATH% for anything to work, or copy
the DLL into /bin.

Second, if two installers are created during beta2, they are going to
have the same version numbers and will not be updated, so a fix to libpq
will not get propogated.  I see no way to manage that except having the
installer do it.

The libpq.dll in SYSTEM32 and /lib will be different in that SYSTEM32
will have the updated version stamp, but it is my understanding only the
installer cares about those version numbers, so that seems OK.