Re: Solutions Linux 2005 Feb 1,2,3 Paris

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Solutions Linux 2005 Feb 1,2,3 Paris
Date: 2004-12-12 20:32:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Jean-Paul,

> We'll have a booth this year at the exhibit, for PostgreSQLFr.org internet
> site and french non-lucrative association (french 1901 law for
> non-lucrative associations). It should be as big as a table and two school
> chairs :)

Wow, is this done?   It must be *much* easier in Europe.

> 1 or 2 posters as a minimum,

I can't ship you a banner; we only have one and it would cost almost as much
to ship as to reproduce.  However, we have a banner *design*, formatted for
the standard sizes available at Kinko's.    We produced a 3' x 6' banner (i
think) for $150 here; I'd imagine the cost would be similar in Europe.

> anything else? Like TShirts for example?... Books?

I can send you t-shirts for the volunteers (how many?) and a couple copies of
Kerry Douglas' book, in English.   Please give me a headcount ASAP as I leave
town in one week and then won't be able to ship anything until January.

The other really cool thing to do would be to create bootable PostgreSQL CDs
in French and hand them out.   Talk to Robert Bernier about how he created
the English ones featuring 7.4.   And keep in mind that we handed out 700 of
them at Linux World Expo, so you'll want to have quite a few.

You should also create a flyer (with the help of this list) on 8.0 or on
PostgreSQL in general and print several hundred.

> Lets'say we'll add 1 or 2 euros for our the association funding. The
> objective is clearly not to make money but just having a little money to
> start hiring the association's server. (PostgreSQLFr.org is hosted on a
> friend's server since feb 2004...). Every booth there has its own tshirt
> and stuff. We would be so proud in wearing PostgreSQL Tshirts :)

See above.  I have about 16 t-shirts left and have been saving them for
something like this.

> I'll try to ask O'Reilly to let PostgreSQL books at our booth... Is this a
> good idea? There are good books too in Eyrolles (fr editor of computer's
> books).

I don't think O'Reilly has anything remotely current out on PostgreSQL.
Perhaps Pearsons (AW, SAMS), instead?   They have a few titles which are more
current, and many of them translated.    I can ask Pearsons in the US who to
contact there.

How big is this convention?

> Well, I listen to any help. Its the first time I organize such a thing in
> my life, I have no idea of how it can be done .

I'm happy to help.   I've done about 8 booths at this point.    The most
important thing is to make a list NOW of what you'll need/want, how long
they'll take, how much they'll cost, and who's responsible.    I'd even
suggest creating this list as an OOo doc and putting it up on the "press"
project on pgFoundry, where the 8.0 releases are, so everyone can share it.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions