Re: Fwd: 8.0 vs. 7.4 benchmarks

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Learner <postgres(dot)learner(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: 8.0 vs. 7.4 benchmarks
Date: 2004-12-07 17:43:55
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:43:03 -0800,
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> IMHO 8.0 means, hey all you external developers -- time to test
> with your applications and report bugs.
>
> 8.1 means, alright we got some wide reports -- fixed a few mistakes
> and now were ready.

That should probably be 8.0.1. That is what the next release will be named.
Typically there is a *.*.1 release not too long after the *.* release. My memory
is that this has been around 2-3 months for the last serveral *.*
releases.

8.1 will be an important release as it should include integrated autovacuum,
some tools for handling PITR recoveries and other changes related to lessons
learned from the several major feature additions in 8.0. I will be surprised
if 8.1 is released before next fall.

We did have a thread about *.* releases about a month ago and the data seemed
to suggest that the *.* releases tended to be better than the latest version
of the previous *.* release. (I think the main problem is that some fixes
were not being back ported because they are too extensive to be safely
back ported.) So with 8.0, it might be a good idea to hold off for a little
bit to see if anything major was missed during beta, but that it might be
desirable to upgrade to 8.0 without waiting for 8.0.1 if there aren't any
major problems reported within a few weeks of the release.