Re: scaling beyond 4 processors

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: vogler(at)cipsoft(dot)com
Subject: Re: scaling beyond 4 processors
Date: 2004-12-07 17:49:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Since our current Postgres server, a quad Xeon system, finally can't keep
> up with our load anymore we're ready to take the next step.

There are a lot of reasons this could be happening; Quad Xeon is a problematic
platform, the more so if you're on Dell hardware.

I've run PostgreSQL on 8-ways, and I know there are a few Sunfire users around
the community (16-way).   There are definitely specific performance issues
around specific query loads on multi-way systems; search this list archives
for "Context Switch Bug".

I will echo others in saying that moving to Opteron on premium hardware should
jump you at least 2x on performance, and it's a lot cheaper than DB2 or

And, of course, if you really want help from this list, you'll post more
specific problems.

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco