Doc patch needed: encodings?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Doc patch needed: encodings?
Date: 2004-12-05 23:46:53
Lists: pgsql-docs
Folks,

I've noticed in recent testing that current versions of both RedHat and SuSE
default to encodings of "en_US.UTF-8" in the US.   Presumably they do
something corresponding in other countries.

I think this means that in the basic install-from-source instructions, we need
to warn people to compile with --locale='C'.   I know it caught me by
surprise when indexing for LIKE stopped working, and I wasted a lot of time
hunting for a PG bug when it was my SuSE upgrade at fault.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

pgsql-docs by date