{Spam?} Re: PostgreSQL History Document

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Bernier <robertb(at)sraapowergres(dot)com>
Subject: {Spam?} Re: PostgreSQL History Document
Date: 2004-12-04 04:49:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Friday 03 December 2004 21:42, elein wrote:
> ILLUSTRA
> In 1992, Michael Stonebraker, Gary Morganthaler, Michael Ubell
> and Paula Hawthorn joined with a small team to create the
> company Miró. Miró took a branch from UC Berkeley's Postgres
> source tree and immediately adapted it to use SQL, implemented
> (fixed) page level locking and a number of other key features.
> Over the next few years, Miró became Montage and then became,
> Illustra.

Illustra was the other database I looked at when backending my
Navi^H^H^H^HGNN^H^H^HAOLserver installation (Illustra and the full text
DataBlade was extremely well supported by that beast). Just wasn't available
for Linux.

> Relational technology into the existing multi-threaded
> Informix 7 to produce Informix 9. I was a part of that team.

> With the halt of active Illustra database sales, some of us
> on the Illustra maintenance team approached Stonebraker with
> the idea to make the Illustra database open source. Stonebraker

> In 2001, Informix split. Half of the company seceded
> and formed Ascential. The database portion of the
> business was sold to IBM.

Any chance anyone inside IBM might be able to make that happen (the
open-sourcing of Illustra?).

The whole DataBlade mechanism was cool; I forget right off which DataBlade the
full-text indexer in AOLserver used, but it was working in 1997 very well.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology