Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?
Date: 2004-12-03 19:14:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
> The issues that aren't clear are:
> 1) do all mirrors get listed?

No. Rationale: In most cases, mirroring PostgreSQL creates zero
marginal effort for the hoster. And many mirrors aren't even
"corporate".

> 2) does documentation "count" as much as code?

Yes.

> 3) do add-ins count if they are completely externally hosted?

No. Sponsoring PostgreSQL means that the results of the effort become
part of PostgreSQL (the code, the documentation, the web site, the
advocacy effort, etc.). Merely producing software that works with
PostgreSQL does not "sponsor" PostgreSQL.

I would be very careful about the hosting argument. Before you know it,
everyone who dumps some code on pgFoundry wants to be a sponsor because
his code is internally hosted. We really need a selection process of
recognized PostgreSQL software. Then we might even include externally
hosted software.

> Since scrolling space on our web page is not exactly a scarce
> resource, I'm inclined to say "yes, yes, yes and no". It benefits
> *us* to list as many companies as possible, because it shows how
> widely used and supported PostgreSQL is to potential new users.

Then we should simply list everyone and be done with it.

--
Peter Eisentraut