Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Who's a "Corporate Sponsor"?
Date: 2004-12-03 19:30:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> 3) do add-ins count if they are completely externally hosted?
>>

>> No.  Sponsoring PostgreSQL means that the results of the effort become part
>> of PostgreSQL (the code, the documentation, the web site, the advocacy
>> effort, etc.).  Merely producing software that works with PostgreSQL does
>> not "sponsor" PostgreSQL.
>
> I go back to my http://projects.postgresql.org argument.
>
> Your argument suggests that we do not list JDBC or .Net... Without
> the drivers PostgreSQL would be pretty useless.

And what would you like for JDBC?  Every company that has someone involved
in maintaining it?  I know Dave Cramer is a big one, but there are others
involved in JDBC as well, who are most likely doing it for 'corporate
reasons' and on 'corporate time' ...

Basically, we aren't looking at listing 'software packages', I didn't
think, we are looking at listing 'corporate sponsorship' ...

----