Re: Corporate Contributors WAS: merging advocacy and "overview"

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Corporate Contributors WAS: merging advocacy and "overview"
Date: 2004-12-03 18:18:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Robert, Josh, Elein, etc.:

I do think this is important to settle. Right now, it's General Bits which
sits square on the border between "contribution" and "external"; Next time it
might be someone else. Sucks for Elein that it's your site we're talking
about, but it helps us make some rules that we'll need again later.

However, I think that we should take this over to -Advocacy. Even though
this will mean a more chaotic discussion, it IS what the Advocacy list is
for, and if we make decisions here without raising them there, we might as
well kill that list.

So I'll be laying things out for that list.

> An example is Practical PostgreSQL. That book has been
> online since the day it hit shelves, free for anyone to use.
> But it isn't the same as say donating patches to ECPG or
> PlPerl which gets directly injected into the community.
> Practical PostgreSQL is a community resource, but it is
> not community sponsored.

On the other hand, PL/PHP is considered a "contribution" even though it is
hosted at CMD's site.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions