Re: [Testperf-general] Re: 8.0beta5 results w/ dbt2

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>,testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] Re: 8.0beta5 results w/ dbt2
Date: 2004-11-30 18:02:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> > I do have bgwriter_delay increased to 10, per previous
> > recommendation, which did smooth out the throughput graph
> > considerably.  I can continue to adjust those settings.
>
> Please try a variety of settings and post your results.  It would give
> us some hard data to help in deciding what the defaults ought to be.
> (I really doubt that the current defaults are reasonable...)

Doing a systematic progression test with bgwriter has been on my TODO list for
a while.  Unfortunately, the Scalable Test Platform, which is designed for
short runs with no vaccuum isn't the best place for it.  Mark and OSDL
allocated us a dedicated machine but I've been tied up with paid work for the
last 4 weeks and unable to finish the setup.

The idea is to have a machine that we can do 4-hour runs, with vacuum, of
different bgwriter, checkpoint, etc. settings.  I've also built a 200GB DSS
database for doing some significant testing with DSS workloads after some of
the discussions around shared_buffers in November.

If anyone here has a great desire to write database-backed GUC test scripts
(pref in Perl) then please give me a buzz on the testperf project
(www.pgfoundry.org/testperf).

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions