Re: [ANNOUNCE] USENET vs Mailing Lists Poll ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bill Harris <bill_harris(at)facilitatedsystems(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-11-30 13:11:44
Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Bill Harris wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>
>> "If there was an official newsgroup for postgresql, would you switch
>> to using Usenet from using the mailing lists?"
>
>> As a side note, for those that do vote 'yes', please note that there
>> is an official pgsql.* hierarchy gated from the mailing lists, that is
>> available at news.postgresql.org, if you do wish to use a news reader
>> vs a mail reader ...
>
> FWIW, I voted yes, but my vote depended upon it being a
> comp.databases.postgresql.* hierarchy, done according to USENET
> guidelines.  I sense that would be a lot more important for PostgreSQL
> in the long term and a lot more sustainable in general than a pgsql.*
> hierarchy.  It's been my experience that processes done outside the norm
> tend to have extra problems along the way that cost more than the
> immediate gratification is worth, even if it does seem more painful at
> the time.

Just as an FYI, the pgsql.* hierarchy was done within the guidelines, or,
at least, was done with the aid of the newsadmins of two of the larger
news sites on the 'Net (Stanford and Supernews, both of which carry, and
distribute, it), *and* has been picked up by ISC as an official hierarchy,
including in the active file that it distributes on their FTP server ...

----