Re: Fix for NLS in pgport

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix for NLS in pgport
Date: 2004-11-28 08:26:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I saw Peter's commit to allow NLS lookups from libpgport functions.
> Here is the change to pg_ctl/nls.mk:
>
>  < GETTEXT_FILES := pg_ctl.c
>
>  > GETTEXT_FILES := pg_ctl.c ../../port/exec.c
>
> Peter, do you have to know the C file used by pg_ctl to make these
> adjustments?

Yes.

> This seems pretty hard to do and maintain.

True, but it's only a workaround that gets the job done without moving
around too much code at this point.  Clearly, this will have to be
revisited later.

> Do your
> tools do checks to make sure all the nls.mk files are properly
> modified?  Is there a cleaner way to do this like putting all the
> strings in single C file and including that somehow?

I don't think that will make it substantially better.  In fact, putting
everything in one file would create more useless work for translators.

--
Peter Eisentraut