Re: FAQ and Windows

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net
Subject: Re: FAQ and Windows
Date: 2004-11-27 05:19:46
Lists: pgsql-docs
OK, I updated the FAQ by adding this sentence:

	MSDOS-based versions of Windows (Win95, Win98, WinMe) can run
	PostgreSQL using Cygwin.

I also updated the version number.

Magnus is going to update the pginstaller FAQ to talk about using Win32
and I am going to have the CVS Win32 FAQ talk about building on Win32,
and each FAQ is going to point to the other.  Magnus, FAQ_MINGW already
points to the pginstaller FAQ.  Can we complete the adjustement of these
FAQ's?

Ian Barwick wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was trying to clarify the installation options for Windows and noticed
> all mention of the Cygwin package has been dropped from the FAQ.
> Attached is a patch mentioning this is the only option
> for DOS-based Windows (95 ~ ME) - someone is bound to ask - and with links to
> the relevant FAQs. I also bumped the current version number.
>
> On a related note I'd suggest adding the "Native Win32 FAQ"
> ( http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html ) to the
> list at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/#faqs .
>
> Ian Barwick
> barwick(at)gmx(dot)net