Re: Beta5 now Available

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Beta5 now Available
Date: 2004-11-26 02:47:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Marc G. Fournier (scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org) wrote:
> we're not talking load issues this time ... the way I understand it,
> bittorrent has a 'tracker' process that only one can be running on the "BT
> Distributed Network" at once ... so, if the bt "central server" goes down,
> the whole bt network goes down with it ...
>
> At least, this is my understanding, someone please correct me if I'm wrong

I *think*, not 100% sure, but I believe you could have multiple
trackers, hosted by different systems, but the problem is that you'll
split your clients between them and they won't talk to each other even
though they potentially could. Also, if one of the trackers went down
the clients using it would also go down (or at least, the stream from
that tracker would).

Stephen