New News Entry

From: www(at)www(dot)postgresql(dot)com (World Wide Web Owner)
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New News Entry
Date: 2004-11-25 15:56:11
Lists: pgsql-www

A new entry has been added to the news database.

Database Admin: http://scripts.postgresql.org/admin/edit_news.php?246

Submitted by: press(at)postgresql(dot)org
Headline: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Beta 5 Now Available
After 4 weeks of work, involving alot of bug fixes, and documentation improvements to the source tree, we have just released our 5th Beta of 8.0.0. We urge everyone to download a copy and run it through regression tests and report all problems to pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org

Story:

Its been almost 4 weeks since Beta4, and alot of work, involving alot of
bug fixes, and documentation improvements, to the source tree, we have
just released our 5th Beta of 8.0.0.

All of our major Open Items have now been completed, and we\'re slowly
entering the final stages, involving a lot of testing and documentation
changes.

For a complete list of changes/improvement since Beta 1 was released,
please see:

ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v8.0.0beta/ChangeLog-Beta4-to-Beta5

That said, Beta 5 is currently available for download on all mirrors:

http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-ftp.html

David Fetter has also updated the Bittorrent Site with the latest beta,
available:

http://bt.postgresql.org

As with all releases, the success of this release falls in the your hands
... to go from Beta -> Release, we need as many people out there to put it
through her paces as possible, on as many platforms as possible. We urge
anyone, and everyone, to download a copy and run her through her
regression tests, and report any/all problems, and bugs, to

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org

The more bugs we can find, and eliminate, during Beta, the more successful
the Release will be ...

Once more, on behalf of all of the developers, Happy Bug Hunting ...