Re: hardware to get best performance

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Vincent Chen <vctw(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hardware to get best performance
Date: 2004-11-25 06:34:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

ext3 is just ext2 with journalling, and from what I've heard is rather
slow. ext2 is fast because it's async. RFS is fast at losing your data.
:)

UFS is rock-solid and is still being developed. In the past couble years
it's been changed to support some monsterous file and filesystem sizes
and has had soft-updates added. Soft-updates order metadata and data
writes in such a way that the filesystem will always come up in a
consistent state. It does what journaling does without the performance
drawback of a fixed journal space on the drive.

Another advantage FreeBSD has is that the kernel will take process
priority into account when it's scheduling disk IO. This means you can
nice long-running processes and not starve other processes for disk IO.

Some people think having a half-dozen filesystems to choose from is an
advantage. Personally, I'd much rather stick with a filesystem that's
proven itself for the past 30 years.