Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...

From: jseymour(at)linxnet(dot)com (Jim Seymour)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upcoming Changes to News Server ...
Date: 2004-11-23 20:05:13
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Due to recent action by Google concerning the comp.databases.postgresql.*
> hierarchy, we are going to make some changes that should satisfy just
> about everyone ... over the next 24hrs or so, traffic *to*
> comp.databases.postgresql.* from the mailing lists will cease and be
> re-routed to pgsql.* instead ... on our server (and we encourage others to
> do the same), the comp.* groups will be aliased to the new pgsql.*
> hierarchy, so that posts to the old groups will still get through ...
>
> In order to improve propogation, as always, we welcome anyone wishing to
> carry these groups to email usenet(at)hub(dot)org to get added on as a direct
> peer ...

Mark,

No offense intended, but you already made one mistake by gating these
mailing lists into the big-8 hierarchy, then allowing them to be
propagated off whatever newserver to which that was done, into the
general newsfeed, w/o going through the big-8 newsgroup creation
process.

Now somebody's trying to fix that by going through the process to
legitimize comp.databases.postgresql.*, there is an RFD posted, and
you're going to up and create pgsql.*?

Did you warn the proponent of comp.databases.postgresql.* that you were
going to do this? Did you read any of the arguments for and against a
completely separate hierarchy that were posted to the RFD thread in
news.groups?

Jim