Re: another plperl bug

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: another plperl bug
Date: 2004-11-23 18:15:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 11:37:22AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> $ perl -e 'print ["test 1"], "\n"'
> ARRAY(0xa03ec28)
> $
>
> so I don't think a Perl programmer would find it surprising; if anything
> he'd probably complain if we *didn't* do that.

Understood, which is why I mentioned that such cases might be
considered GIGO and therefore not plperl's responsibility.
Personally I'd like to see an error or warning since the result
is near useless and the construct almost certainly not what
the programmer meant, but I recognize that not everybody would.

> I would add these test cases to the regression test were it not that the
> addresses are machine-dependent...

I haven't looked into how the regression tests work -- can test
output be post-processed before comparision with expected results?
If so, then a filter could normalize patterns like ARRAY(0xa03ec28)
into something that would pass regression tests.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/