Summary was: Reminder: Meeting November 9th at James Squire Brew House

From: Anand Kumria <wildfire(at)progsoc(dot)uts(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: sydpug(at)postgresql(dot)org, slug(at)slug(dot)org(dot)au
Subject: Summary was: Reminder: Meeting November 9th at James Squire Brew House
Date: 2004-11-16 07:35:30
Lists: sydpug
Hmm, I had this sitting in my draft folder for a while week.

Anyway:

	- Gavin gave us a presentation on Point-In-Time-Recovery (PITR).

	If you are a Postgres DBA this talk was geared towards you. Ever
	had someone 'inadvertedly' drop some critical table? Ever had a
	database too large and/or critical to quiece in order to backup?

	Gavin went through the pros and cons and explanied show of the
	design decisions behind the code and some of its problems.

	- Tim (Allen) explained how postgres is being used at Proximity

	Tim gave us a brief overview of Proximity -- basically if you
	watch TV then some of their software is being used for that --
	and explained how postgres fits into their media management
	interfaces

	Afterwards the talk groups discussed creating dynamic schema tables
	and ensuring that postgres testing is of a consistently
	high-quality.

	Some discussion about next month's sydpug took place (talk or
	party?) without resolution.

Regards,
Anand

linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux