Re: Documentation of server configuration

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation of server configuration
Date: 2004-11-15 18:16:53
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Neil,

> I agree that this section is frequently accessed. Given that, I think it
> is somewhat difficult to find -- we've all memorized that it is in the
> "Server Run-time Environment" chapter, but I don't think that's the
> first place most people would look. What do people think about
> separating the configuration section out to be a new top-level chapter?

I'd be up for that. The trick will be getting it done before 8.0 ...
although if we're going into another beta, maybe time isn't precious yet.

Actually, what I'd see is:

1) a section explaining the most frequently modified options, and links;
2) a section grouping options by general purpose (like our current
categories), with links;
3) a dictionary of config options, which personally I would prefer to be one
per page like the SQL commands.

If we were to do the above, then re-ordering the "dictionary" to pure
alphabetical would make perfect sense.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions