Re: Where is src/interfaces/libpgtcl?

From: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is src/interfaces/libpgtcl?
Date: 2004-11-15 01:49:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 02:58:14AM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> the src/interfaces/libpgtcl has been removed from the main source. I guess
> that's a good decision, but I think there could have been a CVS note about
> where it went?
>
> Perhaps I don't need it anymore? Which one of the newer interfaces below
> can be used woth pgaccess?
>
> I've found two tcl/tk implementations (at gborg):
>
> - pgin.tcl, the "pure-TCL" implementation
> - pgtcl-ng, the libpq-based "next generation" implementation
>
> Which one is compatible with the old src/interfaces/libpgtcl ?

There are (at least) 3 PostgreSQL Tcl interfaces on gborg:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgintcl/
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtcl/
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtclng/

All three offer supersets of the commands in the bundled Tcl interface
libpgtcl which was distributed with PostgreSQL through 7.4.6, except that
pgintcl can't do COPY FROM/TO in the same way. Other incompatibilities
among the three are in extensions to the core commands, and bug fixes. So,
they are all mostly or entirely compatible with the old libpgtcl.

You should probably ask the Pgaccess people which versions they are using
and/or testing. At one point, they distributed pgintcl with their product;
it is written in Tcl and does not require compiling, so it ran with
Pgaccess with no building required. But it is slower than the other two.
I only test pgintcl and pgtclng, and I use a separate test suite not
Pgaccess, so I don't know what works with Pgaccess.