Re: PostgreSQL in the press again

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org,"Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date: 2004-11-13 20:21:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Yes but I believe even you would agree that their are programming
>> languages that are better for certain tasks than others. The use of
>> java as a replication engine for PostgreSQL seems, well... incorrect.
>
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> We definitely concur with that, which is why we are re-writing it ...
>> going to Java, as Andrew has mentioned, was *not* a design decision that
>> we made, but was made for us :(
>>
> Now I get really curious. Why would Java be a bad choice for a replication
> engine? I would consider it an excellent choice, provided of course that the
> people tasked with the implementation had the right skills. C-JDBC for
> instance, is written in Java.

Everyone obviously has their opinion, but in mine, Java just has toooooo
large of a memory foot print ... I don't know enough about Java to know if
this is something that is restricted to how eRServer/Java was coded or
not, but by default, the damn thing takes something like 300Mb of RAM for
just the engine :(

----