Re: PostgreSQL in the press again

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date: 2004-11-10 19:36:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:03:10AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I don't agree with this. Free software is an ideology and has nothing
> to do with wether or not it is commercial. You can have commercial
> Free Software. Red Hat is commercial Free Software as is SuSE or JBoss.

But my experience as a consumer of all of those very products has
not been what my experience of real commercial products has been.
And as I say, that cuts both ways. (I agree that the terminology is
probably considerably less good. Something more neutral would be
helpful. I don't find "Open Source" any more neutral, BTW, mostly
because of the bombs that get thrown over these terms.)

The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
--Philip Greenspun