Re: PostgreSQL in the press again

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date: 2004-11-09 21:04:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Master + read-only slaves:
>   - Slony-I when all sites are trusted
>   - dbMirror for untrusted slaves and/or table based master slave
> assignment - Mammoth Replicator, proprietary ???
>   - erServer ???

That begs the question in turn why there are so many master/slave
replication solutions.  I mean, I don't care, but this categorization
doesn't really answer the original question.

> Multi-master:
>   - C-JDBC, Will be transaction safe once PostgreSQL has XA
>   - pgPool, not transaction safe ???

These are not multimaster solutions in the sense that you can write to
any one of multiple hosts.  In a sense, they are really master/slave
solutions with the program components distributed differently.  To
write, you always have to go through one host.

--
Peter Eisentraut