== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 9th 2004 ==

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 9th 2004 ==
Date: 2004-11-09 21:34:53
Lists: pgsql-announce
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 9th 2004 ==

 With the remaining tablespaces problems finally worked out, we are now left
with only a couple of Win32 issues and a few other minor adjustments
remaining before an official Release Candidate can be released. Talk on the
-hackers list is that we should release one more beta release and then do a
string freeze, probably both within the next week or so, so keep an eye out
for the official announcement.

 As mentioned above, the big change this week was the implementation of a GUC
"default_tablespace" to be used implicitly whenever an explicit tablespace is
not given, which enables fixing pg_dump restores on databases with differing
tablespace implementations. We also saw some code cleanup in path.c and
exec.c to handle issues with Windows drive and network specs and to get rid
of "."  and ".." when joining path sections together. Code was added to the
internal find_my_exec() function to enable it to resolve symbolic links down
to the actual executable location. Some unportable code in SocAddr_cidr_mask
was fixed.  A bug in the REVOKE statement in ecpg was fixed. Temporary files
in the findoidjoins package in contrib are now created securely. Some
additional files were added into dbmirror to improve installation. The
contrib/xml and contrib/xml2 packages were modified to properly pickup flags
for libxml2. The \e and \! commands for psql were fixed on win32. Tab
completion for CREATE TABLESPACE arguments was put into psql. Error messages
were clarified in a number of places in the backend and we also saw
documentation updates for reindex, run-time config, PITR, and GUC variables.

 The other big topic of discussion this week was the moving forward with
making the PostgreSQL mailing lists into legitimate newsgroups as opposed to
the way they are currently unofficially carried by some news services while
being ignored on others. Since the lists were always meant to be a gateway to
usenet, this gives the project the opportunity to act as good netizens while
having little impact for current users. If you would like to read up on the
topic you can view the original "request for discussion" at
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl849962492d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&selm=1099584239.20542%40isc.org

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

SHSQL - SQL for LINUX/UNIX Shell scripts
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-11/msg00142.php

== PostgreSQL In The News ==

Oxford University's computer centre embraces PostgreSQL
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39173013,00.htm

Open source improves flow at water treatment lab
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=377

MySQL's Funny Math (blog)
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/archives/2004/11/08/mysqls-funny-math/

PostgreSQL and Linux filesystems (blog)
http://blog.linuxinternet.org/archives/2004/11/03/postgresql-and-linux-filesystems/

== PostgreSQL Events ==

PostgreSQL at CaFeLUG Conference: Buenos Aires, Argentina: November 12
Christian Kuroki will be speaking about features and benefits of PostgreSQL
http://www.cafelug.org.ar

Vanmtagem + Developers 2004: Lisbon, Portugal: November 15-19
Several sessions on PostgreSQL, relational modelling, SQL, and more.
http://www.v-developers.com

PostgreSQL Seminar: Ankura, Turkey: December 1
Devrim Gunduz will present a seminar about upcoming features of PostgreSQL 8.0
http://seminer.linux.org.tr

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 9th 2004 ==
On the Web:
http://www.postgresql.org

pgsql-announce by date