Re: Log messages of the server?

From: Joerg Hessdoerfer <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Log messages of the server?
Date: 2004-11-08 13:17:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Hi,

On Monday 08 November 2004 13:52, you wrote:
> > Ok, thanks for the info. I'll have a look. Just a suggestion: as this
>
> is
>
> > fairly non-obvious, couldn't the installer just ask where to set
>
> logging
>
> > to?
>
> I'm not saying that's a bad idea, but there are many things besides
> logging that are in postgresql.conf that are not set during the install
> process.  I suggest spending some time and learning it as well as
> possible.
>
> Merlin

for sure the installer should not be a complete configuration  tool - that
would be a different beast (and it looks like pgAdmin will go there). But
server logging is *vital*, as it's the only means to tell you what went
wrong, and allows you to investigate. This will bite many new users, as
they're used look at the eventlog.
Thus my suggestion.

Greetings,
 Jörg
--
Leading SW developer  - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: joerg(dot)hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com