Re: tablespaces for temporary files

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tablespaces for temporary files
Date: 2004-11-03 22:20:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Greg Stark wrote:
> >> Actually the sort algorithm postgres uses would be much more efficient if it
> >> could get access to two or three locations guaranteed to be on different
> >> spindles.
>
> > Agreed, and I was going to mention the idea of a round-robin allocation
> > setup where the system cycles through a list of possible locations for
> > both sort files and temporary tables.
>
> Greg's point was that sort would want to *know* that it created three
> temp files on three different devices. Throwing random effects of other
> sessions into the mix wouldn't make it better.

OK, let's say the sort starts on a random tablespace and then goes
sequentially through the list:

* Add a GUC variable to control the tablespace for temporary objects and
sort files

It could start with a random tablespace from a supplied list and cycle
through the list.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us