Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org
Date: 2004-11-03 17:31:23
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Just to add to this ... if you go to
http://www.postgresql.org/index-test.php, at the bottom there are
'timings' that I've added to the code ... my last load looked like (with
mmcache enabled):

total load time: 0.165179

A total of .16sec to load that page ... but, if you notice when you go
that page, it 'hangs' on start up for a few seconds ...

turning off mmcache, the numbers get even better:
total load time: 0.111649

a hang that isn't apparent if you go to http://www.postgresql.org (a
static page) ...

Alexey's site uses *alot* more PHP then the current page does, so it shows
up the issue alot more ...

Now, to any PHP gurus that might be out there ... FreeBSD ports recently
went to an 'extensions' format for php ... so, you build apache, you add
in mod_php4, and then for the various extensions you want, you have a
/usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini file that you enable/disable in ... when
Apache forks off a new Child process, is it loading all of those up again,
each time? Or, even better, does it only load up the PHP stuff when a
pages calls for it? ie. a .html wouldn't load in the mod_php, but a .php
would have to load it all up before it could run? Would that load time be
the 'lag' we're seeing?

----