Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org
Date: 2004-11-03 12:04:27
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> It shows, that possible problem could be news.rss, events.rss.
>
> That's because these pages are dynamic, too. But I think it's an error in
> webperf that it considers them part of index page.
>
>> This is a classical 3 servers setup and it described in many books and
>> success stories.
>
> Your suggestion is nice and all, but right now we are discussing the fact
> that we don't even have *one* dedicated server. Only a shared account on
> substandard hardware, incapable of running PHP scripts. :(

This has yet to be proven, IMHO ... Dave has already stated that the old
build scripts aren't nearly as slow as yours, and it was having to deal
with PHP as well ...

Your first "complaint" was that it wasn't loading the files fast enough
... so, I enabled mmcache on that server with shared memory use only, so
that it doesn't use disk except for the first load ... the build is still
atrociously slow ... the servers are all setup so that shared memory is
locked into physical RAM, so now what? The RAM is too slow?

If anyone wants to look at the PHP settings on that server, check out
http://www.postgresql.org/phpinfo.php ... is there something that should
be different on compile? or something that is turned on that might cause
a slowdown? I'm using pretty much default FreeBSD ports options, in so
far as build and php.ini is concerned ... maybe there is something in
there that should be changed to optimize better? The server itself is
doing neglible swapping (<6M) and unless I've been reading top wrong all
my life (which is definitely a possibility) its reporting 1G of 'Inact'
RAM, which I believe means that available for processes ... ?

----