Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org?
Date: 2004-11-02 20:43:54
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> You still haven't answered any of the questions that I asked in a private
>> email ... Is this a time of day issue (from your two samples, it looks like
>> it is)? If you set it up to run hourly, what do the #s look like for each
>> run throughout the day? What does the loadavg look like on the server when
>> you are running the script? Or is the database being slow?
>
> I tried running mirror later today:
>
> Nov 02 12:42:47 mirror [info] Mirroring finished. 423 page(s) saved, 2354
> second(s) spent
>
> I also am running it now, getting the same ~5 sec per page response time and
> uptime command states:
>
> 7:49PM up 10 days, 4:36, 4 users, load averages: 4.00, 3.22, 3.04
>
> The database itself does not look slow, nothing like these 5 seconds to
> connect / send the standard query.
>
>> Considering that Dave states above that the current script takes minutes to
>> generate >7000 pages, what are you doing differently that makes it so much
>> slower? And, why exactly are we changing from the current method if the
>> new method is going to require a dedicated server to run it?
>
> Yes, that's one way to ask these questions. The other way is: why are we
> having response times of ~5 seconds for not-too-complex pages?

Your guess is as good as mine ... using my browser from here, I'm not seen
5sec delays, and I'm two countries away from it ... using lynx on the VM
itself, goign through the web site, I'm seeing instantaneous responses ...
I'm definitely not seeing 5sec delays ...

Can you extend your script so that it outputs URL spider'd and time taken
in msec for it? The pages that I'm testing definitely aren't giving me
5sec lag times from the server itself ... so if you can give me a 'slow
URL' that I can look at, that would help ...

----