Re: Daylight Savings Time handling on persistent connections

From: Vinko Vrsalovic <el(at)vinko(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Randall Nortman <postgreslists(at)wonderclown(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time handling on persistent connections
Date: 2004-11-01 16:57:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 05:55:23PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
[...]
> I'm inclined to think that rejecting impossible or ambiguous input
> without a zone is reasonable (and it would go along with the changes
> we made in 7.4 to tighten up datetime field order assumptions).
> But I don't want to take away the convenience of leaving off the
> zone altogether.
>
> One point here is that timestamp-to-timestamptz datatype conversion will
> be affected by whatever we choose. While it's easy to say "reject it"
> for data coming into a database, it's less easy to say that a coercion
> function should fail on some inputs it didn't use to fail on.

What about letting the user decide on the behaviour through a config
option? I really missed this when the integer parsing changed.

The default could be to reject ambiguous input, allowing the user to
choose the assumed zone if he wants to, in a global and per-connection
basis.

--
Vinko Vrsalovic <el[|-(at)-|]vinko.cl>