Re: behaviour of LENGTH() in postgresql v. 8

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marcus Andree S(dot) Magalhaes" <marcus(dot)magalhaes(at)vlinfo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: behaviour of LENGTH() in postgresql v. 8
Date: 2004-10-29 22:17:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes wrote:
> Dear all,
> While checking the last Beta3-Beta4 Changelog of Postgres 8.0,
> I saw the following:
> 	* doc/TODO: Remove completed items:
>         <snip>
>           * -Make LENGTH() of
> 	  CHAR() not count trailing spaces
> If I understand correctly, this will lead to the following situation:
>       CHAR_LENGTH('ABCD') == CHAR_LENGTH('ABCD    ') == 4
> This will definitely break some of our applications.
> Just want to be sure if this LENGTH() behaviour _will_ appear
> on the next version of Postgres. If true, can we somehow revert
> to the current LENGTH() behaviour?
> Can someone, please, clarify this issue?

You should review the release notes.  The full description is:

     * Make length() disregard trailing spaces in CHAR(n) (Gavin)
       This change was made to improve consistency: trailing spaces
       are semantically insignificant in CHAR(n) data, so
       they should not be counted by length().

  Bruce Momjian                        |