Creating schema copy

From: Mariusz Czułada <manieq(at)idea(dot)net(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Creating schema copy
Date: 2004-10-27 23:24:06
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi,

In a database I have to create new schemas with exactely the same structure as
the default one. Of course, I could reverse a schema with pg_dump, then apply
the script to the newly created one. The problem is the base schema sometimes
changes so I should generate scripts every time. Also I need to do this from
a stored function.

My question: is it possible to extend (in near future) CREATE SCHEMA syntax
with feature like:
	CREATE SCHEMA user_xxx_schema FROM default_user_schema [WITH CONTENT];
?
It should create *every* object existing in 'default_user_schema' in
'user_xxx_schema' preserving of course names, constraints, triggers, etc.
Optionally it could also copy table contents (but this is not very
important).

Or is there any other (relatively simple and safe) way do do this *inside* a
stored function (pl/pgsql)?

Regards,

Mariusz

pgsql-general by date